Google Search

Google
 

Thursday, June 28, 2007

The beginning of the end

It is really strange. When I was a kid, I was always very maudlin about goodbyes. I remember one summer at about 13, after taking lifeguard classes with the red cross, I had my Mom drive me to the beach so that I could "say goodbye." And there was crying involved. Did I mention that we lived in town? Okay, there had been a couple of cute, older boys in the class. My family still teases me about that to this day.



But we have started seeing people, friends, for what will probably be the last time. They may come visit once our twice after we are settled, but you know how that goes. Most of the relationships sort of drift away. Still, I don't feel any clingy need to hold on and be sad. I guess that I must feel that the people who are meant to stay in our lives, will stay in our lives. If only for the occasional phone call and Christmas card. It has always worked before. I can still pick up the phone and talk to Jen O. months and years apart and it is as if we saw each other the day before.



And actually, we usually only see our friends 3-6 times per year anyway. Usually at large birthday celebrations with very little time to talk deep. That is the way it goes with three little ones running around. I feel lucky to have a complete, coherent and sane thought - an actual conversation is just a dream. A dream I will continue to have.



So I stand by what I said. The people who are meant to stay in our lives, will stay in our lives. And I will miss them. But for now, no drive to the beach is necessary.

3 comments:

Saratica said...

We decided to say, "See you soon!" and so far have managed to get back to see friends every 3-6 months. I've discovered the difference between casual friends, acquaintances and good friends. Good friends will always be in my life, they pay attention, they are interested, as I am in their lives. Yessir, moving to a foreign country certainly separates the wheat from the chaff! See you soon.

Anonymous said...

Really Jen, you had to say goodbye "to the beach"..and more than likely to a very good summer.
As you get older , change changes.

robsan said...

Great investment opportunity in Costa Rica: jaco beach real estate, map jaco beach, hotel in jaco beach costa rica. Visit us for more info at: http://www.jaco-bay.com/