Google Search

Google
 

Saturday, October 6, 2007

Turtle Feet, Surfer's Beat - New CR YA Book

There's this lady I met online who wrote a book. Not only did she write the book, she took it to the next level and is publishing and selling it. She's also has lofty, charitable goals to help save the world (or at least the turtles). I thought that this would be a great opportunity to ask some questions and help her spread the word. Here's what we talked about:



Q: I love the title "Turtle Feet, Surfer's Beat." It seems to bring together the natural element of the turtles and the the cool kid sports world. Which part inspired you first and how did you think to marry the two in your upcoming book. Are you more of a surfer girl or a nature girl?
A: Actually the book came about when I visited the park for the leatherback turtles and became inspired to help them out. I’ve always loved young adult books and decided that it would be a great topic to write about. But, since teens are a hard group to capture their interests, I realized that the neighboring beach to the park is the world famous surf beach Tamarindo, so I decided to make the other main character the Latino Pro Surf Champ, with full moon parties and risky get-aways from the turtle poachers!


Q: Your main character Penelope has what sounds to me like a "geek girl" name. Did you do this on purpose? Do we get to see Penelope grow in self-confidence as she "gets the guy"?
A: Yes and no, I think her self-confidence grows more from her wanting to help out the turtles. She sees that she, a suburban brat, can make a difference, too.


Q: It's obvious that Costa Rica plays a big role in your story. How long have you been living there, where did you come from and what prompted the move?
A: I’ve been living in Costa Rica for almost five years. I followed my husband out here from NY for his masters program, but that’s over and I’ve fallen in love with the country and decided to stay with my son.


Q: It seems like you chose to self-publish this book. What a brave path, I applaud you. What made you take this route and are you doing a traditional print run or a print-on-demand method? Are you planning to sell on Amazon as well as through your own great website?
A: You have a lot more control when you self-publish, and also with my online teen community growing I decided to work solely through the site. Eventually I do plan on selling my book through amazon as well, but for now, if anyone buys any version of the book 10% goes directly to the leatherback fund.


Q: Before becoming a published author/naturalist/social networking genius - what was your career path? How did you take the journey to authordom?
A: I’ve always had an interest in writing, and have been writing on and off for awhile, so when the inspiration for this book came my way, it was the right time!



Now for a little plug from Marina:





Thank you for having me on your fun blog,

and I hope to see everyone at our online community



ciao for now,

Marina Kuperman

TURTLE FEET, SURFER´S BEAT

Take the ultimate ride!!!

No comments: