Google Search

Google
 

Monday, April 7, 2008

Kissing in Costa Rica

I have been living in a Latin country for half a year now. That is long enough to have aquintances and some friends. There is something so different here than my New Englandish upbringing. They kiss hello and goodbye.

You see it everywhere. In the mall when people who know each other run into each other. When parents meet up at the little performance. And when visiting each others houses.

It was a little strange at first, to kiss people I barely knew. And I got to kiss my friend's husband, right in front of her. A little strange from the puritan background. But I have to say that over time I have adjusted and I LIKE IT.

It seems more affectionate than a handshake (in other words, there is not business being conducted). But less personal than a hug. No major body parts touch. Just lips to cheek. One time. Usually with the head turned to the left so right cheeks touch.

What's funny about this, is that I just saw a news clip that it is starting to be more a thing in the U.S. Maybe by the time we go home, it will be the norm.

2 comments:

Eco Interactive said...

Nice observations.

To take is a step further, the general level of sexual activity in this country is like few places I have seen.

If an American woman describes a male companion as "A Friend", that generally means that she is not sleeping with them. If a Costa Rican woman describes a male companion as "my friend", that almost certainly means that she IS sleeping with him.

Yes, things are different here is Costa Rica.

jen poco loco said...

This is something new to me, and I will have to take your word for it. Most of my friends are "soccer moms" of the kindergarten age. All seem pretty happily married.

So I can't comment.